How to restore MS SQL Server to dissimilar hardware?
For a DBA, to restore SQL Server databases to a dissimilar hardware due to old hardware, failed hardware, failed drives, etc may be an important task. This document offers options to carry out this task.
SQL Server Management Studio (GUI)
Note: I assure that you know how to backup a SQL Server database and place the backups on a file server or copied the backups to the new server.
- Open SQL Server Management Studio from the Start Menu by choosing Start and typing SQL Server in the Instant Search field.
- The SQL Server Management Studio appears and it will be the main area you use to restore your backups.
- Right-click on Databases and choose Restore Database.
- The Restore Database window appears and we will begin by typing the name of the Database we want to restore in the To Database field and choosing the From Device radio button to choose where your backup file is.
- Your file now appears in the Select backups to restore text box. Place a check in the checkbox to continue.
- Simply type a new path to the database and log file.
- Simply type the new path if you want to move these database files to a new path.
- You are now ready to click OK and let the database be restored.
SQL backup and recovery software
EaseUS provides SQL backup and recovery solutions for users to backup SQL database and recovery from disaster.
Download EaseUS Todo Backup Advanced Server to have a try.
- Backup SQL Server database to image file.
- Install EaseUS Todo Backup Advanced Server on dissimilar hardware. And copy the image file you just backed up to the new hardware.
- Restore the image file on new computer.
To know more about EaseUS Todo Backup Advanced Server, refer to SQL backup and recovery software - professional website to offer free SQL backup and recovery solutions.